Don't forget to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with ideas, questions, or help keeping your technology under control and running smoothly.
I'm a little behind on this one as many of you are waiting to hear how the latest iOS jailbreak has gone.
It went smoothly. The Dev Team has released yet another solid and untethered Jailbreak, Redsn0w 0.9.6RC15
I followed my usual routine, and things worked perfectly.
Remember my laws of Jailbreaking, in this order:
1. Transfer purchases & backup your iDevice in iTunes. Do both of these by right clicking your iDevice name in iTunes and selecting these options.
2. Back up your Cydia apps using PKGBackup or some other reliable utility. I recommend using the Dropbox feature along with PKGBackup. Get your free DROP BOX ACCOUNT HERE
3. Don't skip rules 1 & 2
4. Do no update, RESTORE to the latest firmware for a clean install. This helps avoid the blank Cydia icon and other issues many have after updating to the latest iOS firmware then Jailbreaking.
5. After restoring to the latest firmware, do not restore from backup yet, select "start as new device" or simply power off your device.
7. Right click your iDevice in iTunes and select "Restore from Backup".
8. Launch Cydia, it will configure your file system and exit. Launch it again and install PKGBackup.
9. Start PKGBackup and link it back to your Drop Box account in settings. Restore.
**Tip: Using the "sync only checked songs and videos" feature in iTunes will speed up the process of getting your favorite music and videos back onto your iDevice**
Done. Follow these steps and you will have a clean, trouble free Jailbreak.
that's how Bruce T does it.